tour journal and gig reports from airiel's silent member

Friday, October 14, 2005

take it in the ass for art, tour diary #6

After we eventualy left New York, we were stuck on one of the bridges and we still had the 3lb bag of peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets that Chris bought. Naturally we thought it would be a great idea to throw them at Jeremy through his open car window as we were sitting there in traffic not moving. John yelled "take it in the ass for art!" and he threw a pretzel that hit Jeremy square in the head and shattered. The other pretzel bites went in his car and all over the seats. As retaliation, he caught one and threw it but i went backwards and hit the car behind him. This was funny, but was made funnier because of the driver of this car. It was some luxury sedan driven by this old woman with wrist braces on both arms and she looked like somebody's grandmother or something. Van: 1 , Volvo: -0.
I ended up driving us into Washington DC and damn, is there a lot of traffic there. Jeez. We found the venue, a small room sort of like half the size of Beat Kitchen with a cool cafe next door that's part of the same place. We hung out there for like 5 hours and almost left the venue ditching the show altogether because of frayed nerves and nobody showing up work the venue or to play with us. Finally people did show up and the other band, Alcian Blue who were very good and nice people too, played a good set. Lots of Airiel fans showed up and I had a nice big video projection going there. I recorded audio onto mini disc too, but I have yet to hear it.
Some drama after the show led us back to Kyle's place, a lovely beach house half a block away from the beach in Maryland. This was about an hour away from DC. We stood on the beach at 4am under the moonlight and it was one of those special moments that not many of us will forget anytime soon. Jeremy and I had to pee so Kyle told us to do what the fishermen did, and that was to go "over there" and pee into the water. We walked a bit away from the group, did our business and I felt close to the ocean and nature for a bit. Well it was that, but I think it was the draft and the relief I got from peeing, combined with the exhaustion and pain of my feet from the giant bilsters that were surely popped now thanks to the broken shells and the coarse sand. Whatever it was, I felt good and lucky to be with these people, at this time, and at this place.
The next morning Cory, John and I went down to the beach, where I shot more video and did something I've never done before in my 29 years. I went swimming in the ocean. Okay, Chesapeke Bay, but as far as I'm concerned it was the ocean. That was so amazing to be in the water with 2 of my good friends, and knowing why we got there and how we got there and what we went through the past few days it was really a nice moment to share and be a part of. It's so peaceful and so calming I wish I could have stayed there a week. I shot some video and took some pictures and we ended up leaving for Norfolk saying our goodbyes to Kyle with an overall mood of happiness and good vibes.
Next stop, Norfolk, me getting furiously angry, and watching the magic that happens when you touch Chris' arm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home